I very reluctantly headed into work today. The roads were terrible! I got to leave a little early (2:00), but getting back was even more scary! Luckily I made it back safely, and shoveled the driveway, which can be a difficult task when being pelted by ice bullets! Matt was still at work and I called and told him about my obstacles on the phone. “It adds character!” he said…whatever you say, Matt!
When I was done shoveling I made a soup, which was an adaptation of the Italian Vegetable Soup I saw on recipegirl.com.
Italian Vegetable Soup
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a medium-large butternut squash, seeded & chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 28oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 3 14 oz. cans of reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 15oz. can white beans
- about 2 cups uncooked whole wheat pasta (I used bow ties)
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook till they start to brown.
- Add butternut squash, corn, and celery. Cook until butternut squash starts to soften. Remove from heat.
- Blend half the can of tomatoes with 1 can of chicken broth. Add to pot with the other can of diced tomatoes and other 2 cans of chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 20 minutes. (Meanwhile, cook pasta.)
- Add white beans and cooked pasta, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about another 5 minutes.
Tasty & healthy! I enjoyed with some cheese & crackers.
Just checked the weather forecast…it’s supposed to snow tomorrow and Thursday night into Friday…come on! I like snow, but this is A LOT! Good thing I have a lot of leftover soup! 😉